The University of Queensland's Gatton Vocational Education Centre (UQ-GVEC) is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO Number 1511) located at the UQ Gatton Campus and is a Centre wholly under the University of Queensland and operates under the Office of the Director Gatton Campus (ODGC).
The primary role of UQ-GVEC is to offer a range of applied rural educational programs and courses that are innovative and not traditionally offered via the Universities academic programs. Our level of delivery ranges from a Certificate Level 1 to the Advanced Diploma (AQF 6) and we are nationally accredited.
Our engagement model is designed to provide aspirational opportunity to students (such as high schools) who may not elect to undertake the traditional entry OP model and seek to undertake vocational level qualifications for a career pathway or as a pathway towards the higher education sector subject to their specific entry requirements.
The centre incorporates three operational platforms:
- Internal teaching – via provision of various Certificate Level III and IV qualifications aligned to Academic programs such as Veterinary Technology and Wildlife.
- External teaching - through the delivery of rural qualifications and skills sets associated with programs customised to meet industry needs, primarily in remote or regional parts of Queensland including;
- High Schools Programs (Certificates II and III);
- Prisons Programs across Qld (Certificates I to III).
- Professional development – through provision of ‘fee-for-service’ customised short courses delivered within the Gatton Campus or commercial delivery through grants or funding sourced from Government and private sectors;
UQ-GVEC employs a core fixed term staff of approximately 15 and a casual pool of more than 30 staff including senior academics and vocational training staff.
UQ-GVEC is currently registered to deliver 33 qualifications to an Advanced Diploma (AQF6) within the rural training packages:
- AHC10 Conservation and Land Management;
- AHC10 Rural Production;
- AHC10 Amenity Horticulture; and
- ACM10 Animal Care and Management.
UQ-GVEC has further diversified its products and services to incorporate teacher training and professional development through programs such as the TAE50111-Diploma of Vocational Education and Training, the TAE50211-Diploma of Training Design and Development, and the TAE40110-Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
Operationally, the Centre has grown significantly over the past five years. UQ-GVEC is working towards matching this performance and growth rate with the provision of superior quality training and meaningful models of delivery and engagement, which combine ‘Science with Practice’.