The Indigenous Land Corporation (ILC) in conjunction with UQ-GVEC, MEGT (Australia) Ltd, and Ian Bateman’s Shearing Team, offers a 16 week Indigenous Employment Program (IEP) for eligible students. Eligible participants engaged in this program will complete a VET accredited Certificate II in Rural Operations, with wool handling and shearing subjects. Eligible participants are required to undertake a three-week pre-employment course followed by a 13-week shearing program at the Merriman Shearing School. The pre-employment course will provide valuable workshops whilst the 13-week Shearing School will provide all accredited training required to achieve the Certificate II in Rural Operations.
Merriman Shearing School is part of the ILC’s Training to Employment (T2E) initiative.
Delivery & Instructors
UQ-GVEC is the approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO 1511) and will deliver this training in conjunction with MEGT (Australia) Ltd and Ian Bateman’s Shearing Team. Ian Bateman’s Shearing Team will provide on-site training and assessment throughout the program and assist participants
to develop their on-the-job skills.
Training will be conducted at Merriman Shearing School at Brewarrina, Western NSW. This property is owned and managed by the Indigenous Land Corporation.
Intake and Entry Requirements
Three-week pre-employment course: 20 students maximum
13 week shearing school: 15 participants maximum.
Student Contribution Fees
There are no student contribution fees for eligible participants.
- AHCOHS201A Participate in OHS processes
- AHCWRK209A Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- AHCINF202A Install, maintain and repair fencing
- AHCLSK205A Handle livestock using basic techniques
- AHCLSK210A Muster and move livestock
- AHCMOM212A Operate quad bikes
- AHCLSK202A Care for health and welfare of livestock
- AHCWRK205A Participate in workplace communications
- AHCSHG201A Crutch sheep
- AHCSHG202A Assist in preparing for shearing and crutching
- AHCSHG203A Shear sheep to novice level
- AHCSHG204A Shear sheep to improver level
- AHCSHG205A Grind combs and cutters for machine shearing
- AHCSHG206A Prepare handpiece and downtube for machine shearing
- AHCWOL201A Pen sheep
- AHCWOL202A Perform board duties
- AHCWOL203A Carry out wool pressing
Contact the UQ-GVEC reception office for an enrolment form on telephone 07 5460 1353 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The UQ-GVEC Code of Practice includes all policies and procedures relating to training and assessment and should be read prior to signing an enrolment form.
The University of Queensland, Gatton Campus QLD 4343
Phone: 07 5460 1353
Fax: 07 5460 1367
MEGT AUSTRALIA LTD
INDIGENOUS APPRENTICESHIP & TRAINEESHIP NETWORK
Recruitment & Management Services
Mob: 0428 367 955